Midi Switch bit? Huh?!!

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion Midi Switch bit? Huh?!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bomma72
    Participant
      • Topics: 20
      • Replies: 68
      • Total: 88

Hi

So I am trying to add a slider on the PG-300 which will allow me to change the Key Assign Mode on a Patch in the Roland MKS-50.

On page 63 of the MKS-50 Manual the Sysex for this command is listed under #2 Patch Parameters. Using these parameters I have been sucessful in getting the Portamento Time and Portimento (on/off) in this list to work.

However under 12 Key Assign Mode — value it has listed.

bit 6  5

0  0  Poly Mode

1  0  Chord Memory

1   1  Mono Mode

bit  4  0 ignored

So what does this mean, is this the bit in the value byte at space 6 and 5?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

msepsis
      Participant
        • Topics: 219
        • Replies: 732
        • Total: 951
        • ★★★

Hi Bomma, I took a peak at the MKS50 manual, sometimes you need to know how to read Japanese to make sense of roland’s sysex implementation 🙂

So yes, bits 6 and 5 are where these parameters are controlled, using the combinations they give you. bits 4,3,2,1 and 0 are ignored.

I suspect they do it this way as these modes are toggles (aka switches). You’re either in one mode or the other.

so to enable mono mode you set both bits 6 and 5 to a value of “1”. If you want to switch to poly mode you set both bits 6 and 5 to a value of “0”. setting bits 4, 3, 2, 1 or 0 will do nothing here, play modes is only set by bit 6 and 5.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • ★★★★★

Setting bits in a byte is tricky but can be done. Right now it has to be done in LUA. But i’m working on a feature that will allow doing this without LUA. For an example on how it’s done in LUA have a look at the JUNO106 panel and the Chrous buttons.

Bomma72
          Participant
            • Topics: 20
            • Replies: 68
            • Total: 88

OK I got this last night.  Using a slider I just assigned the choices to numbers who when translated into Bytes had the appropriate switches at 5,6.  Because all the other bits are ignored it works great.  Next up getting the current patch settings.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
          There is currently 0 users and 116 guests online
          No users are currently active
          Forum Statistics
          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
          Ctrlr