MIDI Thru/Plug Option settings not taking

Home Forums Platform Specific OSX MIDI Thru/Plug Option settings not taking

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

Latest OSX ctrlr (5.3.198 from March) as VST will not allow you to set MIDI thru or plugin options. You can select your setting but it wont stick.. that is there is no checkmark next to what you select.

I was able to somehow get a check to appear next to MIDI Thru> Plugin host->Output device but could not uncheck it, or select any other option under MIDI Thru.

This occurs with blank newly created panel via ctrlr 5.3.198 as VST or as you’d expect also with panels developed first on other revs..

EDIT: went back a few revs, seems this is the case going back at least as far as 5.3.122, and occurs also with the AU. It is absolutely not an issue in 1590.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by msepsis.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by msepsis.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

msepsis
      Participant
        • ★★★

I went on another mac and confirmed it’s the same here (both running latest mac os el capitain… i went back a number of mac revs 5.3.163, 122, 85.. I then jumped back a bit further and tried 5.2.99, 139 which is the most recent rev I’ve tried where this doesn’t seem broken.

jasefos
        Participant
          • Topics: 13
          • Replies: 76
          • Total: 89

The OSX .VST builds of CTRLR seem to have this issue for quite a long time. It is very annoying and makes the ride that much bumpier for new users to CTRLR.

This problem is happening as far back as CTRLR 5.3.85 (which is the last build of CTRLR I use since more recent builds seem to suffer from other issues).

I have found a work around however I wish it wasn’t necessary.

1. Enter Panel Mode to invoke the editor which reveals the global settings for the panel (I drag the vertical separator to give the properties more horizontal space to make it easier to read).
          2. I collapse all the main sub-headers except for MIDI.
          3. Look for these settings and TICK them:
          ‘panelMidiThruH2D’
          ‘panelMidiThruH2DChannelize’
          With these two settings ticked, the plugin will pass MIDI notes from the Host to the Direct MIDI ports and Channelize the data to the Output channel.
          4. I find it also necessary to change ‘panel MidiGlobalDelay’ from the default of 50 to 0 since on my system it create delayed MIDI notes.
          5. Exit Panel Mode.
          6. If you return to the MIDI Thru settings menu you’ll see these are now ticked.

Hope this helps someone!

I’m REALLY looking forward to better OSX VST builds of CTRLR – I’ve found latest builds (5.3.198 and 5.3.163) are plagued with other issues such as very sluggish GUI repaints/updates and most crucially MIDI Library/Snapshot completely non-functional.

For the moment, sticking with 5.3.85 even though it has this ‘non sticking’ MIDI Thru settings issue.

Cheers!

--> Music: www.soundcloud.com/jasefos
          --> DAW: OSX10.10.5 with Live 9.6 x64, UA Apollo Quad
          --> Controllers: Push 2, KeyLab61, Maschine mk2, MCU Pro, 2xMCU-Ext
          --> Synths: Cyclone Bass Bot TT303, ESQ1, MKS80/MPG80, Matrix 6R, Matrix1000, Mopho, 05RW, DW8000, Virus TI Polar, Voyager Electric Blue, MiniBrute, AN1X, K5000s, FIZMO, ASR10 rack, Kenton ProSolo (controls Sequential Pro-One, Yamaha CS15), Prophecy, EMX1, MonoTribe, SP1200, DX100, KARP Odyssey

msepsis
          Participant
            • ★★★

Thanks for your follow up here.. it helps to compare notes to track these things down.

I went through last night and tried all these below (yes indicates whether the issue I’m talking about occurred)

5.3.198 yes
            5.3.163 yes
            5.3.122 yes
            5.3.85 yes
            5.3.83 YES (device list listed “error” for every device)
            5.3.81 yes
            5.3.57 yes – (when new MIDI>Settings) dialog appeared in ctrlr
            5.3.50 no
            5.3.3 no
            5.3.0 no
            5.2.139 no
            5.2.99 no

When looking at the 5.3.57 and higher revs I just happened to notice the MIDI Settings dialog under MIDI – Settings.

I’m just inferring on what occurs that the preferred method now is to set these settings here as once you do they appear ticked in the locations we normally would manually set these. I don’t know if those actually get saved with the panel as a default – it really should since theses are necessary settings for the VST to operate as a normal human would expect it to.

**Thanks for posting your workaround, I noticed these global options as well – that should be the way to get them set by default.

So there was a ctrlr rev where snapshots and MIDI library actually functioned properly? 5.3.83? Where was that at in 5.3.50 before the introduction of this new MIDI Settings dialog?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by msepsis.
            Attachments:

msepsis
            Participant
              • ★★★

For the time being I’m sticking at 5.3.50 – version just before “MIDI Settings” were added to the menu (which IMHO confuses matters further since the old method is still there, just not usable the old way by ticking the options.

pretty much have identified the original issue i started this thread about – you’re to use the midi settings dialog, not tick the options in the MIDI menu.. but until the options in the midi menu are removed (the old way) it’s confusing.

I’ve noticed a few quirks here and there in 5.3.50 but nothing added into ctrlr since then I feel is absolutely necessary.

Attachments:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘OSX’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 104 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr