midiMessageReceived & receiving >256 byte messages

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr midiMessageReceived & receiving >256 byte messages

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

Very strange one, but 100% faithfully reproducible… read carefully:

I have several types of Sysex dumps coming from the synth to the panel that are larger than 256 bytes, both about 265 bytes.
      When the panel receives these messages for the first time, the message seems to be ignored by my Lua script which updates the panel based on the bytes received. I need to simply resend the message from the synth and the panel update works fine.. that is until 30 seconds go by from the time of the last 265 byte message comes into the synth.

I seem to recall discussion regarding ctrlr having a limitation of receiving only 256 bytes in one "chunk", however at least here, things work fine if you resend the 265 byte message. I have timed it multiple (by multiple I mean several dozen) times and precisely 30 seconds after sending the last 265 byte message I know I will have to send the message twice for it to update the panel, whether it’s a parameter update or receiving the wavetable from the synth.

Example:
      When I change programs fromthe panel I am also sending a program dump request to the synth.
      When my midiMessageReceived script smells a program dump from the synth it calls a function that gets each byte value and assigns the value to the corresponding parameter modulator (knob/button/combo/etc).
      program dumps from the synth are 265 bytes.
      When I first open my panel and change programs, the panel will not update to reflect the parameters on the synth. I need to send the dump again from the synth, then the parameters update.[b:3306k7uj] If I change programs again within 30 seconds[/b:3306k7uj], there are no problems. However as soon as 30 seconds pass from the previous program dump I will need to once again resend the program dump from the synth. It’s clockwork. 30 seconds precisely, every time.

Are there any work arounds besides my current one which is to use a 1000ms timer to send the request for these 265byte dumps twice? It gets the job done but is twice as "chatty" as it should be.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

No this is a bug and i’m aware of it, i’m working with that at the moment (dumping waves from the Evolver) so i see it happening, and i’ll do my best to fix it. Don’t do any workarounds this has to work.

msepsis
        Participant
          • Topics: 219
          • Replies: 732
          • Total: 951
          • ★★★

here’s a bump for ya. I was wrong here w/ my original post, it’s not messages larger than 256, its messages larger than 128.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

Try the latest nightly, read the Changelog first, see if there is any change.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
          There is currently 0 users and 99 guests online
          No users are currently active
          Forum Statistics
          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
          Ctrlr