Need help Slider

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Need help Slider

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ed_f
    Participant
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 17
      • Total: 20

Hey folks just getting started with ctrlr and think it has some awesome potential, but I keep hitting brick walls. Looked for answers can’t find them.

Can someone point me to how I can set up a knob that has a set number of positions? For example an octave switch with 16′,8′,4′  – and then how to send different sysex based on each of those.

Thanks for any help!

Bomma72
      Participant
        • Topics: 20
        • Replies: 68
        • Total: 88

I think the best thing you can do is download a panel and look at it.  That will give you a good starting point as far as the environment.

Here is a tutorial that was done a while ago.  It uses an older version of ctrlr but it will still give you and idea of how the interface works.

Basic functions can be done through the interface however for more advanced stuff you will need to use Lua which is the programming language that does stuff in the back end.

Hopefully you have at least a basic understanding of programming.  There is also a lot of good information about Lua in general, however there are commands that are specific for Ctrlr.

At this point I am afraid you will need to do a lot of searching on this forum when you get stuck.  Also ask questions people will help you just make sure you are specific with your questions.

I have almost finished my first panel and have started working on my second.  However I am a professional programmer, and yet I still have problems and need to ask questions.  So don’t worry if you get stuck.  While Atom has done a fantastic job the program is still in the development stages so there are changes and it is not well documented yet.

People here are helpful though and you just need persistence.

Good luck!

Hecticcc
        Participant
          • Topics: 25
          • Replies: 160
          • Total: 185
          • ★★

For the knob you need to use a UIFixedSlider, and put your values in the slider contents pane like this:

16'=1
          8'=2
          4'=3

If the values you need to send out are different than 1,2,3 etc…you just change them to the ones needed.

16'=105
          8'=110
          4'=120

If the sysex formula has only one variable – i suppose this is the case here – you can set it up in the midi properties of the slider.  Set the midi message  type to sysex,  put in the sysex string you want to send in the sysex formula pane, and put xx where you want the slider’s value to go.

For more complicated stuff you will need to use Lua. This might seem daunting at first but once you get the hang of it you can setup really cool stuff.

Good luck!

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

For more mid-complicated (not that very but a little bit) stuff you can use Expressions that will do the job for you.

ed_f
            Participant

Thanks all, this will keep me moving. I have been trying to look at other panels. And being a programmer, the idea of a little code doesn’t scare me. I just couldn’t find what I needed.

Looks like this will move me to the next stage – I really appreciate the support.

ed_f
              Participant

Hecticcc – Your information allowed me to get 90% of this done – Thanks again. I have a couple of new issues – hoping they might be as easily answered.

I have another slider that is sending values using two bytes so that it has values from:

00 00 - 07 68

Of course if I set the last three bytes of the slider to be something like xx xx F7 – the value of the slider is put into both of those bytes which is incorrect.

The change in the first byte of the value when the second byte reaches F7 (127), for example:

01 7F F7  when the slider on the actual device is incremented 1 becomes: 02 00 F7 or

02 7F F7  when the slider on the actual device is incremented 1 becomes: 03 00 F7

Is there a way to set this up that does not require scripting? Since the 7F value of 127 is basically giving each of these steps a 128 steps, a common top value, so maybe this has been considered in ctrlr – thanks for any help

ed_f
                Participant

In the hope it might help someone else I will post the answer here.

Hecticcc sent me a private message so the credit goes there.

What I was looking at was of course the MSB and LSB for that option and Ctrlr knows how to handle that. By right clicking on those two byte in the Edit sysex window  I was able to choose MS and LS from the list of possible choices.

Hecticcc
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 25
                    • Replies: 160
                    • Total: 185
                    • ★★

Yeah some weird bug, i was here on my phone and the submit button did not show up…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                  There is currently 0 users and 94 guests online
                  No users are currently active
                  Forum Statistics
                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                  Ctrlr