Panel database name

Home Forums General News and releases Panel database name

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    atom
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 159
      • Replies: 2945
      • Total: 3104
      • ★★★★★

Anyone has a good name i could use for the panel database/device database. I need something that would identify this feature for what it is. Something like “Stash” or “Sack”, a thing that contains panels/resources/methods (it will have more then panels).

So any suggestions are welcome, i’m trying to make it work now.

Anonymous
        • Topics: 1
        • Replies: 5
        • Total: 6

what about Vault since it is going to be a collecion of valuable recources

atom
        Keymaster
          • ★★★★★

Also i have a more general question, do you/we need a Ctrlr interface to the database. It’s a load of code that might break other stuff i was thinking a good web interface might be enough ?

Or maybe not ? maybe an appStore like interface would somehow help ? i can’t really say myself.

Anonymous

In my opinion I dont see there being a big issue in downloading panels etc with a web browser than loading them into Ctrl-r rather than being able to connect to the database directly to be honest.

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

Ok so I did some stuff on the page today.

I fixed user roles, it should be all good now

All registered users can create POSTS (just like on any other WordPress site), those posts can be put into special categories “Panels, Resources, Other, Methods, Programs” theese categories are Database categories. Posts can contain attachments (*panel*, xml, zip, exe, dmg are allowed). Those posts will be listed in this special category, this way we’ll build a new Panel database. The posting is simple, wordpress is a user friendly piece of crappy software so you should have no problems (Look at the top of the site, you have a + New button, click it to start posting).

For now i did not do any moderation, category listing blah blah, for now the top link “Panels NG” just lists the posts in the Database/Panels category. I uploaded my Mopho panel there, you can see how it looks like.

You can (should?) attach a “featured” image and generally write something about your panel.

Comments are open so your panels can be commented on.

The URLs to panels should be simple, for my Mopho panel its: http://ctrlr.org/dsi-mopho

Let me know if you get into trouble or can’t figure something out.

Please remember I’M NEW TO THIS TOO, that is WordPress so don’t expect any good support or anything.

Anonymous

good work atom at least it gives people somewhere centrally to upload panels etc

SWB
                Participant
                  • Topics: 35
                  • Replies: 157
                  • Total: 192
                  • ★★

Indeed a very good idea, especially to be able to add some explanation about a panel. Would this also be the place to upload a not yet perfect finished panel, so people can add comments or can help with further development?

About the name, as it is about development of panels, so a name should make that clear in a way: ‘Panel  Development’ or maybe ‘Panel Home’ (a bit dull I admit) or ‘Panel Depot’ (a bit better?) 😉

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★★★

Yeah put your unfinished stuff there too, people can track changed, you can upload changes, you can get feedback on your changed. That’s what it’s for.

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

I uploaded a DEMO Rendering panel, the panel list is simplified so it fits more items. Have a look at the demo, there is a lot in it that you can learn.

SWB
                      Participant
                        • ★★

This Demo crashes on my Mac with r1274 (OS 10.7.5). Works OK on Win7. Need the crash report?

atom
                        Keymaster
                          • ★★★★★

It will crash on the mac since the mac builds are not the latest build, like i wrote on the Panel page LATEST NIGHTLY BUILD, i do my work on Windows so expect WIndows builds to be the latest always (unless GOD tells me to start using Apple products, but that would mean that GOD exists and he would have to talk to me directly)

SWB
                          Participant
                            • ★★

You’re right, won’t make that mistake again. BTW more then 25 years ago some voice in the back of my head, maybe the DEVIL, told me to start using Apple products, mainly because (I BELIEVE) they were the first to provide a simple MIDI interface which one could connect to a Mac without any hassle 🙂 I still use it in my setup… See attached jpg.

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            atom
                            Keymaster
                              • ★★★★★

All that apple stuff is just my opinion, i do encourage or discourage anyone from using apple products, i just wont do it cause i don’t need to and i don’t have the ca$h to have them.

i’ll try to keep the mac builds up to date, but the OSX i run in my VMware workstation is very slow and the builds take almost an hour to complete (Standalone VST AU each with 32 and 64 bits that 6 seperate Ctrlr builds that need to happen). On windows it takes 3 minutes.

SWB
                              Participant
                                • ★★

Well, nowadays I’m not such an Apple Mac believer anymore, but because I originally started with (Digital) Performer for Mac (before they had a Windows version) as my main DAW I stick to Mac. Using both systems on one computer (I’m using VMWare Fusion to run Win7 and XP)  has many advantages though, especially when developing/testing Panels and using/learning Lua. And don’t forget MIDI-OX (Windows only), which is great for analyzing all kinds of MIDI-messages.

atom
                                Keymaster
                                  • ★★★★★

Also just to bitch a little on Apple, i just installed OSX 10.8.2 and downloaded XCode a week ago i think it was 4.5.2 now it’s 4.6 and everything is broken again, cause apple changed(broke) stuff. I know i break stuff, but i do opensource, apple takes money for that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • The forum ‘News and releases’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                There is currently 0 users and 84 guests online
                                No users are currently active
                                Forum Statistics
                                Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                Ctrlr