1436, then 1438, now 1441 woes

Home Forums General News and releases 1436, then 1438, now 1441 woes

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

saved a few panels in the mac 1436 rev, then tried to open them in 1438 for windows (xp x32) but they crash. I’ll PM you links to the panels in question. Would be great to resolve this as the panels are ready for release, i was opening them in the latest win rev to build standalone instances for windows but can’t since they crash ctrlr upon opening them. I seem to be able to open other panels ive done which were last saved in much earlier revs…

Thanks Atom

• This topic was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by msepsis. Reason: changed thread title

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

Yeah i know what i broke (or tried making better), i reversed the changes and a new build is up.

msepsis
        Participant
          • ★★★

Thanks atom. I see that issue is resolved. Quickly though, I’m noticing that at least the one panel I’m working on at the moment I’m not getting knob movement in the panel when I rotate a knob on the synth. This was working w/o issue until a few ctrlr revs ago… any hunch?

Im away from my studio at the moment so cant test other panels/synths but I am out and about with with the waldorf rocket and both my pc and mac laptops. I wanted to look at this further but i can definitely confirm here that on both win ctrlr 1439 and os x 1436 when using either the USB midi io on the rocket or connecting through a motu MTPAV i’m not getting any knob/switch/combo box movement on the panel when I adjust parameters on the actual synth.

actually i’m ducked away in my wife’s third grade class room (she’s s teacher) while she packs up – i’m the designated van driver 🙂

any ideas?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by msepsis.
          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.

atom
          Keymaster
            • ★★★★★

All controls or just a specific MIDI type (CC,sysex?)

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

Yeah never mind i fixed a bug i made during the program manager work. try the new nightly.

msepsis
              Participant
                • ★★★

Great.. resolved on win, issue is still in the last osx nightly.

msepsis
                Participant
                  • ★★★

Hate to bug you on this again, but any way you could apply this fix to the last os x nightly you have posted? Problem is still there. It’s fixed on the windows rev of course.

Thanks atom

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★★★

i’ll build it when i get back from work.

msepsis
                    Participant
                      • ★★★

Ok, panel modulators update when I rotate a knob, etc but something about either retrieving bytes from incoming messages or assigning their value to modulators seems to be broken on this new 1442 rev… I didn’t yet test it on windows, but here are the thread of methods and their syntax in context…

midiMessageReceived = function(midiMessage)
                      IDM = midiMessage:getLuaData():getByte(4)

if IDM == 0x10 then
                      				assignValues(midiMessage)
                      ---------[ next relavant code snippet

function assignValues(midiMessage)

programData = midiMessage:getData():getRange(7,256)

panel:getModulatorByName("Osc 1 Octave"):setValueMapped(programData:getByte(1), false)
                      	panel:getModulatorByName("Osc 1 Semitone"):setValueMapped(programData:getByte(2), false)
                      	panel:getModulatorByName("Osc 1 Detune"):setModulatorValue(programData:getByte(3), false, false, false)

I see out the midi monitor that the panel is sending the right messages, then it receives the sysex dump called for in one of the messages but apparently none of the modulators are updating to reflect the values assigned to them with the setValueMapped… ideas? Any possibility for a quick fix if you know what the problem is?

Thanks for chasing this down. I think it’d be a good point to put out a more or less “stablish” rev at this point anyway. THEN forge ahead with all the cascading changes coming with the program manager etc, I can’t blame you though for just wanting to plow ahead.

atom
                      Keymaster
                        • ★★★★★

Have you checked what values you are getting from getByte() and getData() ? and if the midiMessage is holding the correct data ? I’ve changing copy constructors in MemoryBlock and MidiMessage so those things might hvae bugs.

msepsis
                        Participant
                          • ★★★

Well. I haven’t had to check this out on this panel for several hundred ctrlr revs so I don’t think its anything I did 🙂

atom
                          Keymaster
                            • ★★★★★

I’m not saying you did anything, i was just trying to catch the bug while at work, i can’t receive any midi at work (i can’t install any drivers so no midi devices will ever appear on my company laptop).

but i’m home now and i’ll see what’s going on.

msepsis
                            Participant
                              • ★★★

of course, just giving you as much detail as possible to help track it down! Thanks for looking into this. I’m so close to being able to release a major update for the microwaveXT panel and launch a new panel for the waldorf rocket… but the “down time” is giving me a chance to add a few more features before I release them, so it’s not like I’m at a complete stand still!

atom
                              Keymaster
                                • ★★★★★

Well i tried this. I added a simple method to set a value of a modulator from the 3rd byte of all CC messages. And it works.

Can you put a bit more on the console, like

console ("data: "..midi:getData():toHexString(1))
                                console ("byte0: "..midi:getData():getByte(0))

to see if the data is really there.

msepsis
                                Participant
                                  • ★★★

i’ll check it out when I’m home with the kids (synths)…

…but I do know the functionality in question works w/o a hitch in 1436 and hundreds of ctrlr revs previous. I didn’t touch any of this part for a looooong time and it’s still worked.. I tried in 1436 to verify i hadn’t accidentally touched some code that caused the issue but no it worked fine… jsut to be as clear as possible the issue I’m reporting here is with the most recent mac nightly you posted, 1442

msepsis
                                  Participant
                                    • ★★★

just a nudge to read my last comments in the last post here.
                                    I’ll post the output of the console per your recommendation this evening. Had husband duties last night 🙂

msepsis
                                    Participant
                                      • ★★★

Well.
                                      look again at the second line of my midiMessageReceived script:

midiMessageReceived = function(midiMessage)
                                      IDM = midiMessage:getLuaData():getByte(4)
                                      console ("IDM: "..IDM)

I’m getting IDM: 0 in the console every time I send the panel a sysex message, which is definitely not right. I notice the format of the stuff you suggested I add to get more read out is a bit different…
                                      midi:getData():getByte(0) ??
                                      not
                                      midi:getLuaData()getByte(0) ??

Actually putting in what you suggested…`
                                      console (“data: “..midiMessage:getData():toHexString(1))
                                      console (“byte0: “..midiMessage:getData():getByte(0))

...into my midiMessageReceived script will crash/lock up ctrlr. But if I put in just the 

console (“data: “..midiMessage:getData():toHexString(1))
                                      `
                                      line I get “data:” in the console… no data though 🙁 that second console line to get byte 0 of midiMessage is what is crashing ctrlr.

Again.. this is the latest mac rev – 1442. When ctrlr “crashes” I get nothing, then the spinning wheel of doom.. no output telling me what caused the issues in the log. I’ve got the log set to be as verbose as possible.

Hecticcc
                                      Participant
                                        • Topics: 25
                                        • Replies: 160
                                        • Total: 185
                                        • ★★

Looks like the trouble i run into on the win build aswell, it seems as if something is blocking the midi processing…
                                        No crashes on win though (yet).

Posted some example code here:

Build 1441 (win) Lua broken?

ps: Looks like i’m not the only one fighting WordPress tags, takes me an average of 5 edits to make the code tags do their job, and i just gave up on the http-linking after some more fruitless tries :-/

*edit*
                                        And, of course, when i finally give up and paste it as plain text: behold a working link….

• This reply was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by Hecticcc.
                                      Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                      • The forum ‘News and releases’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                      There is currently 0 users and 58 guests online
                                      No users are currently active
                                      Forum Statistics
                                      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                      Ctrlr