restricted instance request

Home Forums General News and releases restricted instance request

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Is it possible to hide some of the File Edit View menu items on exported instances? I’m hearing from users of some of my panels that they’re getting confused with a lot of that stuff that doesn’t pertain to the standalone instances, pretty much all they need access to is the View and MIDI menu, maybe Window and Help, but “Crash Ctrlr” would be a great item to omit when the standalone panel is created. πŸ™‚

Also I’m noticing that when creating a VST instance, the name of the vst file has no bearing on how it shows up in your DAW when scanning plugins. In reaper at least I’m seeing the VST as “CTRLR”.. I would like that vst show up as the name of the panel, if possible?

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

Well the Crash Ctrlr option shouldn’t be there, it’s just for debug builds, it will be gone.

i can’t really hide the menu bar, i mean i can but what will i substitute it with ? Or do you mean you’d like it stay there but with MIDI options only (i thought i greyed out most of the “useless” stuff anyway)

msepsis
        Participant
          • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Or do you mean you’d like it stay there but with MIDI options only (i thought i greyed out most of the β€œuseless” stuff anyway)

IMO the “useless” stuff that is still not greyed out are:
          -everything under the “File” menu except Quit
          -everything under the “Edit” menu (the preferences deal with panel development, not panel use)

-View>Refresh Property lists, View>Property IDs/Names
          -Panel>Comparator Tables (still no clue what this is for πŸ™‚
          -Panel>Program Manager should probably be moved to “Programs” menu list?

For those menu items that are greyed out, is it possible to hide them alltogether? I’m looking for something similar to the other synthedit type software.. the builds you create do not need to have all the development items in the menu bar, only the menu items you designate that relate to the end user(s) of the panel.

Icing on the cake / pie in the sky / pipe dream – I really would love to be able to change the style of the file menu bar.. see attachment.

Clearly this is all just a suggestion on cosmetics, which imo comes second to stability of current features etc… so it’s not the utmost priority, just a suggestion for the look/feel.

What about the comment regarding the name of the VST? Is it possible to change so the VST gets named by the panel name and not “CTRLR instigator” or whatever it’s named by default? If you have multiple ctrlr panels as VSTS they all show up in the VST browser with the same name – “ctrlr instigator”.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by msepsis.
          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.

atom
          Keymaster
            • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

Well shiiiiiit

the whole look and feel stuff was there i just removed it at some point since noone used it. I guess i can bring it back, but just the part that covers the menus (background, font, colours, ?size)

As for what’s reported to the host when in plugin mode that’s a big problem, in order to report the name using the VST specification i need to break JUCE (Jules does not want to add the code that makes this possible, me and some other folk asked for that, even proposed code changes but no go, here is the topic on the forums http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11278)

Now i can do that cause i know how, but every time i update JUCE that gets updated and goes to the old version, i could just change that one file but then i might break something when the library is updated and something depends on the “current” code (and my code won’t be current).

It’s possible but just requires a decision on my side.

msepsis
            Participant
              • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Well shiiiiiit

the whole look and feel stuff was there…..

You know I took a break from deving ctrlr panels for a few months last summer, I think one of the first posts i read here after coming back for more was something about you asking if you could remove this as somebody asked for it (me!) but it was getting in the way etc.. If it’s a PITA don’t sweat it, but it would be nice IF it doesn’t get in the way of something else and is easy enough to do. again uberlow priority. any thoughts on what I suggested be removed from the file menu? Is it even possible to *remove* menu items or must they just be greyed out and disabled?

It’s possible but just requires a decision on my side.

got it.. i just followed up on that thread, I noticed there was no reply from Jules so I gave the topic a ping with an analogy to help him get the picture. It’s definitely an annoying quirk one I would think Jules would want to resolve!!

atom
              Keymaster
                • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

They can be removed.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

Well i added the menu look and feel stuff so you can change the colours and fonts.

I also updated the VST and AU wrappers so they report names of the panel in the single instance, i’ll also update the export procedure so it writes correct Info.plist file when exporting instances from AU/VST (this is how OSX reads the name off AU/VST, again apple decided to NOT follow any standards)

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

I removed the menu entries in the restricted instance, you can try it now on a nightly windows build.

Tronic
                    Participant
                      • Topics: 7
                      • Replies: 45
                      • Total: 52
                      • β˜…

Another thing to avoid in a restricted instance is the ability to edit the lua scripts,
                      which are now accessible from the menu,
                      Program Manager -> Midi Library
                      users should not see the page that now appears in the Midi Library.

atom
                      Keymaster
                        • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

I’ll try to hide that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • The forum ‘News and releases’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                      There is currently 0 users and 95 guests online
                      No users are currently active
                      Forum Statistics
                      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                      Ctrlr