Roland MKS 7 "Super Quartet"

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Roland MKS 7 "Super Quartet"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mim
    Participant
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 8
      • Total: 11

Hello,

First of all, congratulation for your work, that rocks so much !

I’m looking for a synth editor for the Roland MKS 7, and I can’t find any but Midi Quest, which is Bugged as hell, not properly designed (it needs his own MIDI inputs and outputs so it’s conflicting with the DAW) and really overpriced.

Since there is already a CTRLR version for the Juno 106, it shouldn’t be too much work (Roland MKS 7 is two juno 106 + one bass synth + one TR 707 ). I can’t program this myself since I’m not aware of C programmation, but I’ll be glad to help by finding documentation and make a donation. The UI doesn’t matter very much for me now.

Atom, do you think it’s doable ?

Thanks

mim

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

Need some sort of a manual that specifies this how mIDI works in this unit, and we can move from there.

mamonu
        Participant
          • Topics: 5
          • Replies: 19
          • Total: 24

i do not have the machine but… here is a link to the manual which in the end has a midi implementation
          [url:3siv5v7n]http://www.analoghell.com/studio/index.cfm?fuse=downloads&id=52&dl[/url:3siv5v7n]

from what i understand you can edit mks7 from the juno106 so you should be able to control it with th juno106 ctrl … on 6chord mode…..
          although ive read that syntactically its the same sysex but semantically is a bit different (so it seems the same sysex code is sent but is recognised a little bit differently….)

also the 707 samples should be acessed by midi notes… (so that should be easy to add on a ctrlr)
          i might be wrong but first try the 106 ctrl. for the juno part….

>(Roland MKS 7 is two juno 106 + one bass synth + one TR 707 )

no its not.
          # mono bass part (with 20 preset sounds)
          # 4 note poly chords part (with 100 preset sounds)
          # 2 note poly melody part (sounds as per chords part, except without noise source)

or

Whole Mode
          The MKS-7 has a "Whole Mode". The Melody and Chord sections are combined and act as a six voice synthesizer.

mim
          Participant

Thank you very much for your reply.

I’m gonna check with the Juno 106 ctrlr, if it’s working good, I won’t bother you about a special MKS7 version.

Thanks

mim

mamonu
            Participant
              • Topics: 5
              • Replies: 19
              • Total: 24

In order to use MKS7 as a Juno106 in Whole Mode:
              you need to do this everytime you turn on the synth…

The MKS-7 has a "Whole Mode". The Melody and Chord sections are combined and act as a six voice synthesizer. In this mode there is no sound from the Melody Section. To turn on the Whole Mode, use the following procedure:

1. Press the MIDI CH button so the RHYTHM, BASS, CHORD and MELODY buttons are flashing.
              2. While holding the CHORD button, press the MELODY button.
              NOTE: The CHORD and MELODY indicators under the LED display should now both be lit.
              3. Press the MIDI CH button to exit.

mim
              Participant

thanks manomu,

btw, you have a nice synth arsenal !

mim

mim
                Participant

Ok I’ve tried the Juno controler and it works.
                  I’m gonna check the multiples instances version of the build , to see if I can succesfully ctrlr both Chord and melody in the same time.

I’m having an issue : I can’t send program (reaper’s crashing). I’m not sure about my set up, though. It’s a vacation setup (enjoying the sun with my MKS7, a eeepc with a cheap tascam US 224 (midi driver doesn’t seems good)).

I’ll try again and report with both builds (I don’t have internet often)

mim

kreeper_6
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 1
                    • Replies: 1
                    • Total: 2

+1

lipelis
                    Participant
                      • Topics: 1
                      • Replies: 2
                      • Total: 3

Can`t find anything about juno 106(or MKS-7, it will be perfect) panel, can anybody share it, please?

TSHolen
                      Participant
                        • Topics: 0
                        • Replies: 1
                        • Total: 1

I acquired the mks-7 in the aim of using it as a cheap and space efficient juno-106. Unfortunately I grossly miscalculated the ease with which it can be controlled from my mac (at least as far as my effort has gone). I want to use it with ableton live, controlling it with a Korg microKontrol (the keys mainly) via USB to the mac. Then I have another simple USB->MIDI in/out that i feed into the mks. This way I can play notes, but for some reason I cannot control the parameters of the mks (set in ‘whole mode’) with the juno-106 ctrlr panel.

I would deeply appreciate any help in this, particularly since I do not seem to have the level of knowledge of programming that seems to average on this forum.

Thanks!

Anonymous

I’m also interested in a soft (or hardware) controller for the MKS-7 :roll:
                          Thanks!

Anonymous

Hi there, I’m using the MKS-7 device panel on Cubase, it’s pretty good (no additional charge). There’s also Midi Quest XL that has an MKS-7 interface (paid). The MKS-7 controller by SysEx rocks! 8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                          There is currently 0 users and 114 guests online
                          No users are currently active
                          Forum Statistics
                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                          Ctrlr