Sequential Circuits Six-Trak

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Sequential Circuits Six-Trak

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Muve
    Participant
      • Topics: 4
      • Replies: 9
      • Total: 13

Screen

OK I’ve done a new panel for the SCI Six-Trak as I found the old one had a few issues.

The panel offers basic MIDI CC control over all the parameters and program changes.

A few things I’d like to add but don’t have the knowledge, are a patch library, and having the panel updating parameter changes when made on the synth. If anyone can help with this or wants to add to the panel, be my guest. The manual can be seen here (MIDI Implementaion starts on page 57): http://soundprogramming.net/manuals/SequentialCircuits_SixTrak_Manual.pdf

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

The controls on the panel (i assume they are CC controllers) should update live without you doing anything else, if the Synth is transmitting CC data and Ctrlr is receiving that data, those sliders should move along with the synth.

If it’s not happening then;
        – check your MIDI connections
        – open the MIDI monitor window in Ctrlr and see if there is any data coming in when you twist the knobs
        – it’s a bug, in that case let me know i’ll have a more detailed look.

Muve
        Participant

Interesting thanks. Yes they are CC controllers so I’ll give it another look tonight.

Do you have any idea of how to take on the patch library side of things?

Muve
          Participant

For those that need to know… I think the Six-Trak is unable to send parameter data via MIDI, so the Editor will not be able to update changes. It can send/receive program changes and mod wheel data however, so they can update on the Editor if the settings are right. See page 65 of the manual.

Also I’ve fixed the Mod wheel on the editor as it wasn’t correctly calibrated. See the panel download section for the latest version.

sixtrakker
            Participant
              • Topics: 0
              • Replies: 2
              • Total: 2

anyone got this is working? I can see something in / out data on MIDI monitor while pushing Sixtrak keys. But about controller thing, is it true that should work only with this:

six trak in Omni mode: When put power, should be On.
              six trak in control parameter mode: Control Rec / 4

MIDI settings on Ctrlr:
              MIDI input: All channels
              MIDI Controller: All channels
              MIDI out: Channel 1 (also selected MIDI channel on Sixtrak)
              There’s no other MIDI equipment connected.

Is this settings right? did i forgot something, am I stupid? This is great, if it’s possible to get work.

Thanks!

atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

If the SixTrack is not capable of sending CC data when a knob moves, then it will never work (unless someone can develop a piece psychic software).

If the sixtrack can dump programs, Ctrlr can be modified to understand them and update the on screen controls accordingly.

Muve
                Participant

Hi Sixtrakker, good to see someone can potentially get a bit of use from this. It certainly works as a MIDI controller for the Six-Trak and should be pretty simple to set up. From looking at how you have it, it looks OK, but some setting or other will not be playing ball. The simplest way to test is to use with CTRLR in standalone mode, with no other MIDI instruments connected and no other MIDI software or DAWs open. Perhaps monitor via headphones directly from the synth to make sure its not a problem with your audio routing either.

On Six-Trak
                  – Connect via both MIDI IN and OUT to your MIDI interface
                  – Hold Control Record and press 1 to allow program changes
                  – Hold Control Record and press 4 to allow parameter changes
                  – Hold Track Record and press 1 to put in Omni Mode

In CTRLR:
                  – Open Six-Trak Editor 1.1 Panel
                  – Set MIDI Input to interface and leave on ‘all channels’
                  – Set MIDI Output to interface and leave on channel 1
                  – Check the MIDI IN and Out devices have a smiley face on them to make sure they are connected properly.
                  – Test INPUT by moving the mod wheel or changing programs on Six-Trak, this should update on the Editor.
                  – Test OUTPUT by changing the CTRLR parameters while playing the synth. Make sure Panel Mode is Off (Panel Menu or Ctrl + E)

CTRLR should now be able to control all parameters in Six-Trak. As stated in an ealier post, the Six-Trak’s lack of being able to send parameter data via MIDI, means that CTRLR can not update parameter info if changed on the Six-Trak. It’s essentially a one way street, but better than nothing!

Atom: Yes it’s an unfortunately lack of foresight from Sequential on not sending parameter data, I didn’t realise this when I started the project. For me, it’s the one thing that stops it being able to function like a modern MIDI synth. The rest of the MIDI implementation is very good for its age. Perhaps the latest ROM chip from Wine Country addresses this drawback, mine is v9. And yes if anyone can do the LUA programming, a CTRLR patch librarian would really take this to the next level.

For me though, I’ve decided to sell this and get another synth as it doesn’t quite fit with my workflow. Good luck to other Six-Trak users!

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★★★

I’d love to help but i got a MultiTrack instead of the SixTrack, and my unit has no MIDI implementation at all (apart from program change), i asked DSI for a manual but they told me ask WineCountry, i never got to asking them i must say.

sixtrakker
                    Participant

Thanks for your help, Muve!

Controller is now working and makes Sixtrak more clear to use!

I recommend this for every Sixtrak user!

synthexplorer
                      Participant

Hi there. I am unable to get the Six Trak Editor file to open. I’m uncertain as to how to implement or use it, really. I am used to loading .vst or .component files into my DAW. The .bpanelz file has totally thrown me for a loop. Is there a particular program I should be using to open this? Does the editor work for Macs? I’m all ready to go w/ my six trak and controller…would love to get this working! Thanks!

synthexplorer
                        Participant

also, my daw is ableton live if that helps..

lfo2vco
                          Participant
                            • Topics: 26
                            • Replies: 162
                            • Total: 188
                            • ★★

Hi there. I am unable to get the Six Trak Editor file to open. I’m uncertain as to how to implement or use it, really. I am used to loading .vst or .component files into my DAW. The .bpanelz file has totally thrown me for a loop. Is there a particular program I should be using to open this? Does the editor work for Macs?

Hey synthexplorer, at the top of this page select Downloads > Ctrlr. This will take you to the latest nightly builds of the Ctrlr app. Download the latest version for Mac, inside will be a standaload app, a vst and a component. Load the vst into Albleton and then open the .bpanelz into the Ctrlr vst.

Basically the vst is an interface/holder for any of the Ctrlr panels created. Hope it works out for you.

Here is some noise I organised into an acceptable format:
                            https://soundcloud.com/lfo2vco/a-dark-crystal

ugello
                            Participant
                              • Replies: 4
                              • Total: 4

anyone tried this panel with Sequential Circuits MAX?

midi implementation should be the same

LvK
                              Participant
                                • Replies: 1
                                • Total: 1

synthexplorer: I got it to work with Ableton 8. I had to use 2 tracks.

I think a Midi instrument can only have midi in?

try this:
                                Track 1 as a Midi Instrument with Ctrlr_Plugin_VST as the plugin.
                                Track 2 as an External Instrument and Midi Out going to six-track and

Midi In coming from Track 1.

Both tracks need to have record enabled.

TristAndShout
                                Participant
                                  • Replies: 1
                                  • Total: 1

Sorry to bump a 5-year-old thread, but re:ugello I am trying to get this to work with a MAX, which is nearly the same as the Six-Trak but with less surface control. I’ve done all of the instructions listed here, and I’m getting input/output signals in Ctrlr but am having trouble modifying any of the sounds on the synth. I am using a cheap midi-to-USB cable that I got online, which I’ve heard are pretty horrendous; is this possibly the reason, or should it still work fine regardless of this?

Possemo
                                  Participant
                                    • Topics: 14
                                    • Replies: 638
                                    • Total: 652
                                    • ★★★

you have to enable parameter changes. Abstract from the manual:

… snip

To select the coded functions which follow in this section:
                                    Press Erase.
                                    It blinks.
                                    Enter the appropriate two-digit code on the SOUND SELECT keypadErase still blinks.
                                    If any other functions are to be selected, enter the appropriate code now, while
                                    Erase is blinking.
                                    Press Erase.
                                    It stops blinking. Normal operation is resumed.

…snip

Enable Parameter Changes:
                                    Erase, SOUND SELECT 34
                                    This enables MIDI parameter changes. (For applications of this function, see CREATING NEW SOUNDS FOR MAX, page 33).

… snip

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Possemo.
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                  There is currently 0 users and 56 guests online
                                  No users are currently active
                                  Forum Statistics
                                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                  Ctrlr