simulating MIDI in?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr simulating MIDI in?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SWB
    Participant
      • Topics: 35
      • Replies: 157
      • Total: 192
      • ★★

Is there an (easy) way of simulating incoming midi sysex data?

dasfaker
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 80
        • Replies: 793
        • Total: 873
        • ★★★

Yes, you can open two instances of your panel and feed one panel with the other.

SWB
        Participant
          • ★★

Does it have to be twice the same panel or for example one panel just sending some MIDI sysex and an other, different one, receiving it? I’m asking because at the moment I just have a laptop with Ctrlr and the panel I’m working on, no MIDI devices hooked up, so no real testing possible.

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

Two different panels are better since you can create a “test” panel that will transmit what you want and when you want.

I recommend MIDI-OX + MIDI YOKE, on Mac the UAC internal virtual MIDI ports do the same and just find an application that can transmit whatever MIDI data you need.

It’s better to do that over MIDI devices in case of data fragmentation and timeouts.

SWB
            Participant
              • ★★

Just to make sure, MIDI YOKE is 32 bit, so do I also need to run the 32 bit version of Ctrlr? (I’m using Win 7 64 bit)

atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

I doubt it, Windows can do drivers in both modes. Also on Win8 MidiYoke does not work too good, i use loopbe1 http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html it also has a 64bit version and it’s free for home use.

SWB
                Participant
                  • ★★

OK, thanks for the link! MIDI YOKE on my computer was ‘recognized’ by MIDI-OX, showing input and output ports, but I saw no possibility to connect Ctrlr to one of these ports. But maybe I need to dig deeper into this. Anyway, I will try Loopbe first. Thanks again.

SWB
                  Participant
                    • ★★

Loopbe1 works like a charm! Thanks again!

So I’m able to send midi (sysex) from one panel to another, BUT now I want to send (using a button on the sending panel) voice data which is a message containing 155 bytes of data. I tried the ‘multi message list’ (copied the data from clipboard), also tried the ‘sysex formule’ property, but got not the desired result. So how do I send this ‘large’ message using a button or, if needed, using Lua?

SWB
                    Participant
                      • ★★

No need to reply, I figured it out. As usually, very simple ‘sendMidiMessageNow({putheremessagedatainhex})’.

SWB
                      Participant
                        • ★★

Well, after all not that simple… Is there any restriction on the lenght of the message in the ‘sendMidiMessagNow’ command, because I get irregular behaviour when sending a large message (about 162 bytes). Irregular: I ‘pick out’ one byte (e.g. byte 9) in the receive midi script, but the console output shows sometimes 3 bytes and sometimes a lot more with the value zero when I change the byte number to a higher number…

atom
                        Keymaster
                          • ★★★★★

There are no restrictions here, you can send megabytes of data, it will be fragmented by the driver anyway. The data is passed to JUCE MIDI code directly i don’t do anything with this data in my code.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                        There is currently 0 users and 109 guests online
                        No users are currently active
                        Forum Statistics
                        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                        Ctrlr