Using VST plugin?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Using VST plugin?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    NoNameNeeded
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 11
      • Total: 13

Can someone explain to me how exactly this is supposed to work?
      I don’t really get it because first of all the ctrlr dll isn’t recognized in Cubase (5.5) but secondly I don’t really understand what kind of plugin this would be, because if it were a real VST instrument you wouldn’t be able to record the real instrument (because VSTis are inside of the sequencer) so is it kind of a Midi plugin?

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

Yes it is a MIDI only plugin, there is no AUDIO processing in Ctrlr (there never was and never will be).

The VST should be placed as a VSTi an Instrument, so that it has MIDI IN/OUT

NoNameNeeded
        Participant

Ok, but where can I find the plugin?
          When I installed the program it copied a dll file called “Ctrlr-VST-32.dll” to the VST plugins folder, is this already the plugin?
          I can’t find it as a Midi plugin in Cubase.
          It’s not even listed in the plugin information window.

In the standalone program I’ve found the option to export the panel as an “instance” and it seems to work but it only creates an exe file, which of course can’t be used as a plugin…

atom
          Keymaster
            • ★★★★★

Yeah the DLL you mentioned should be found as a plugin in Cubase if it’s in the VST plugin path, if it’s not you might be missing something (sometimes you need to install the Visual Studio Redistributable package from Microsoft). Have you tried some other free host to verify if it’s a Cubase issue or if it’s a Ctrlr issue.

If you wish to export and instance, you need to export it in the VST plugin, it’s simple the standalone version exports other standalone instances, the plugin version exports other plugin instances.

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

Ctrlr will not appear as a MIDI plugin, this is the special type Cubase uses to identify MIDI-FX plugins i think (different framework then VST), Ctrlr is VST only on Windows. It’s AU/VST on OSX.

NoNameNeeded
              Participant

So if I get this right, although it is a MIDI plugin it isn’t seen as a MIDI plugin by Cubase?

But if it has to be loaded as a normal “VST instrument” in Cubase, how is it possible to record its audio output?
                Because normally Cubase creates a mixer channel for every VST instrument but in this case this wouldn’t make a lot of sense, because it’s not really a VST instrument….

No, I haven’t tried any other free hosts, but I might give it a try, which free host does it work with?

You mean this one?
                http://www.microsoft.com/de-at/download/confirmation.aspx?id=30679

atom
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★★★

More like http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555 (i’m using VS2010 to build Ctrlr)

And yes it’s not a “MIDI” plugin, “MIDI” meaning MIDI-FX framework based (talk to Steinberg about how they call stuff, not my fault)

Any free VST host, try Cocks or FLStudio demo or something like, anything that can host VST plugins should work.

You don’t record audio from CTRLR you record audio from whatever synthesizer you are controlling, once again CTRLR does not process/generate any AUDIO data ever.

NoNameNeeded
                  Participant

Ok, I tried it with Reaper and it seems to be recognized.

You don’t record audio from CTRLR you record audio from whatever synthesizer you are controlling, once again CTRLR does not process/generate any AUDIO data ever.

Yes, I’m aware of that and that’s why I was wondering as what kind of plugin it is (or should be seen) in Cubase since you can’t normally record VST instruments like you would with real instruments.

But anyway, it’s not recognized in Cubase 5.5 but I’ve just found out that it can be used in Cubase SX2 (!) so there is obviously something wrong with my Cubase 5.5

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

Maybe it’s 64bit and you need to use the 64bit version of the plugin. Hard to say i didn’t use cubase for some years now, so i can’t really help.

NoNameNeeded
                      Participant

No, it’s the 32bit version on a 32Bit Windows.

But at least now I know where to track down the problem.

NoNameNeeded
                        Participant

Ok, installing VS2010 stuff really helped a lot.
                          Now it’s recognized and can be loaded.

But is it possible to save presets that will then be loaded in the same panel?

What’s also strange is that it won’t play back midi files when the plugin is selected as Midi Out.
                          And what’s also not so good is that no matter which midi track I’m on, the Midi data is always sent to the MKS-50.
                          I guess it’s due to the fact that there are now two midi hosts (Cubase and the plugin).
                          So I chose “None” as Input/outputs/controller and ticked “input from plugin host” and “output to plugin host” instead but that doesn’t work either (no Midi data is sent to or received from the unit)

Is there a way to use this as a plugin in a really useful manner?

NoNameNeeded
                          Participant

I managed to fix some of the problems.
                            When I export it as a dll file it loads the presets in one panel (instead of opening each preset in a new panel).
                            I was also able to find a MIDi setting that seems to work as needed.

Unfortunately Cubase crashed once when I closed the plugin..:(

Is it possible to automatically send the panel settings (=preset) to the synth instead of selecting “send snapshot” every time?

I think I’ve also found a bug in the MKS 50 panel (which is really nice apart from that) because the DCO range settings don’t seem to be saved correctly in a preset.
                            Sometimes they are saved, sometimes not.
                            Strange

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                          There is currently 0 users and 77 guests online
                          No users are currently active
                          Forum Statistics
                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                          Ctrlr