Build Ctrlr on Windows 10 and others

Home Forums Development Other stuff Build Ctrlr on Windows 10 and others

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Tedjuh
    Participant
      • Topics: 9
      • Replies: 97
      • Total: 106
      • ★★

Finally some success. Managed to compile the stand alone version of Ctrlr 6.04. If I remember correctly it was the version 6.0 bump from January 8th. Done in Visual Studio 2017 by opening the ctrlr.sln file.

Some tips. In the Source\Misc folder there is a zipped Boost file. Unpack it to the same folder. So you get Source\Misc\Boost\*all files*.

Take a good look at the errors.

When it says it can’t find some windows SDK version or some c++ 14.- version, download them as an individual component with the installer for visual studio.

Regarding vcxproj errors. Or the file is missing or the file contains some faults. Easy to fix, it’s easy to spot that there are some lines copied, thus now double, into it which you can delete.

Try to do a release first when it says it can’t find a certain exe file. Press ok when it wants to update some files because they seem out of date.

I’m probably forgetting some important things but it’s easy to forget some things after hours of clicking around and trying different things.

But still trying to figure out how to build an installer. Wonder if that is done in Visual Studio as well. When I look at the log files in certain Commits, it looks like it. But no dice here so far.

Been without internet for two days, hope to get delivered a new modem tomorrow. So I can try other versions. Or so I can upload the working commit to my own repository for you to try, Goodweather.

goodweather
      Participant
        • Topics: 45
        • Replies: 550
        • Total: 595
        • ★★★

Proficiat! Really happy about that!!!
        I’ll have a look. I’m in VS2019.

We should create a new full package with only the necessary files and folders.
        Add what is missing and remove what is too much (Juce examples and co…).
        When this is OK, we can re-add the other stuff but documenting this is not needed as such for Ctrlr.

Tedjuh
        Participant
          • ★★

About your question about the date that version 5.3.201 appeared:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160405224602/https://ctrlr.org/

Here is the first appearance of it. If you click on the back button at the top of the window (the date wayback machine crawled the ctrlr site) it goes 20 days back in time and shows version 5.3.199 or something. When you go to downloads, it shows version 5.3.201 was added to the download section at March 29 2016.

That should help to pin down the commit we need to do the things you mentioned. I had a new modem yesterday so I can download visual studio 2013 (he added support for 2015 but reading the comments of the commits he had to make it work for that version later on) and give some commits between 16 march and 29 march a try.

You’ll hear from me soon 🙂

Tedjuh
          Participant
            • ★★

Small success here. Managed to debug (Yes, debug) the standalone version of Ctrlr from 29-03-2016. The release or nightly release throws a bunch of errors that I know how to solve but didn’t get to yet.

Steps taken:
            — Install a very legal version of Visual Studio 2010 (cough)
            (If interested, pm me Goodweather)

— Download the Ctrlr Repository from said date.

— Extract the boost folder to the Boost folder. Folders should look like:
            — ../Boost/boost/(all boost files)

— Download Juce (from the Juce Github) Version 3.2.0.
            It’s the last version I could find that had the Introjucer in it. It got replaced by Projucer after that version. But Introjucer is needed for the 5.3(.201) version.

— Copy the files from the Juce commit to the Ctrlr Commit. Except for the Modules folder.
            — Build the Introjucer. Find the Solution file in the Juce/Extras/IntroJucer/Builds Folder.

You can try to debug it now. But it will probably throw a lot of errors, something about pre-compiled headers and stuff and some /Ym switch. If it does, do the following:

-In the Solution Explorer in Visual Studio, go to:
            Ctrlr Standalone/Core/stdafx.cpp
            — Right-click and go to properties.
            — Go to: Configuration Properties/ C/C++ /Precompiled Header
            — Change Precompiled Header to “Create (/YC)”. It’s probably blank. Just click the blank box.
            –Also go to Command Line (also under C/C++). Make sure “inherit from project or project defaults” is checked.

Last but not least:

-In the solution explorer in Visual Studio, right-click the “Ctrlr Standalone” and click properties.
            -Go to: Configuration Properties/ C/C++ / Command Line
            -At the bottom where it says “Additional Options” change /Zm2000 into Zm200. Other values might work, didn’t bother to try.

If it throws an error somewhere about CtrlrRevision.h not found, change “CtrlrRevision.Template” in the same folder as the stdafx.cpp file to CtrlrRevision.h. Or, while your at it, change the build and revision name and stuff into something like I did. See screenshot.

G’luck.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            goodweather
            Participant
              • ★★★

Impressive!
              FYI, didn’t have time to look at this further but this is not forgotten 😉

A question: how do you download a repository from a specific date / version?
              I found how to go back to a certain commit (but didn’t tried it) but not how to get a specific version for example in this case of Juce.

Thx!

Tedjuh
              Participant
                • ★★

In the case of Juce, it’s quite easy. When you are at the Juce Github page, click “Tags”. Go back to version 4.2.0. There’s a zip file you can download. (I made a mistake in my last post, I said 3.2.0 was the last version with Introjucer, it was 4.2.0)

If you just want to see the files: Click the tag number and again click the tag number with the tag symbol next to it. Otherwise, click the long number (70949aa) and then browse files in the big blue bar at the top.

For Ctrlr. Go to the commit you want to download. For instance on this page:
                https://github.com/RomanKubiak/ctrlr/commits/stable?after=2f9ce2ea74e49cb324442eae530b74aff59c35f2+139&branch=stable

scroll down to the commit of April 29 2016. Click on the <> at the right hand of the window. And then under “Code” choose Zip.

Tedjuh
                Participant
                  • ★★

Ok, finally managed to compile the ctrlr-win32.exe and the ctrlr-x64.exe files. Didn’t test them thoroughly but they open without errors and I can open a demo panel.

I’m going to write a tutorial for all necessary steps to compile the commit next weekend.

Didn’t try to make an installer yet. But it seems that the exe files are independent from the stuff that gets installed with Ctrlr like demo panels, a .git folder and some licenses. There is a way to create an installer in visual studio. Might give that a try.

I think you are one step closer to adding those descriptions, Goodweather.

Next step for me, learn C++.. (Lol, but hey, I learned Lua in a few months.) and try to add a Juce class.

goodweather
                  Participant
                    • ★★★

Fantastic!!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  There is currently 0 users and 106 guests online
                  No users are currently active
                  Forum Statistics
                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                  Ctrlr