Looking for the basic sysex receive/send panel

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Looking for the basic sysex receive/send panel

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Synthtoast
    Participant
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 6
      • Total: 9

I used to use a panel with ctrlr which had the sole purpose of receiving my midi dumps and allowing me to send them as well. as far as i remember it had simply two buttons, one for send and one for receive or some similar configuration.

I used this in DAW’s that do not have sysex recording and it was really neat and useful, does anybody know where I can find this panel? I cant even remember its name but I think it was something like sys.panel or whatever the extension may have been.

Can this perhaps be done with any panel with any synth as this one was not manuafacturer or model specific? I have browsed both the new panels and the deprecated panels but I am not very good at navigating websites so if anyone knows where I can find it please lead the way.

I really loved this panel 🙁

Synthtoast
      Participant

Generic Sysex Record and Send

sorry, seems I found it after all.

This panel could be improved as ive just realised it dosnt seem to know when i want the midi recording to stop and assumes that I want only one message received when I am trying to do an arrangement dump from the virus TI (not a sysex expert but i think theres a stop message at the end of a string and this is what is stopping the recording). very useful for one patch at a time but frustrating to do up to 16 instances of the panel for each part on multi-timbral setups.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Synthtoast.
        dnaldoog
        Participant
          • Topics: 4
          • Replies: 480
          • Total: 484
          • ★★

I thought that was an interesting idea, so I put together a quick panel to do that.
          If it works, let me know and I might refine it and release it as a panel.

This panel automatically receives any sysex messages and those messages can then be saved to PC and resent to the machine.

Regards,

agnostic sysex dump panel

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Synthtoast
          Participant

You just made my day, will be testing this tonight and leaving feedback. Looks perfect. I’ve always been more interested in total recall features of ctrlr than the actual control aspect. For me and others like me this is all we need.

dnaldoog
            Participant
              • ★★

Great Synthtoast,

I think I forgot to attach the actual panel though! (Should be there now!)

?

goodweather
              Participant
                • Topics: 45
                • Replies: 550
                • Total: 595
                • ★★★

Great job dnaldoog.
                Don’t need that myself but thx for the Ctrlr community!

dnaldoog
                Participant
                  • ★★

Thanks Goodweather! ‘?

Here’s another one that includes an extra dump request field for synths that require a sysex request message be sent. Version 1.1 alpha

dump me panel

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by dnaldoog. Reason: bulk dump
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by dnaldoog.
                  Attachments:
                  Synthtoast
                  Participant

Okay so this is exactly what I had in mind, I can send and receive all 16 parts to the panel without issue as a bulk dump. excellent!

Is it perhaps an easy possibility to make the entire sysex message stay in the panels buffer so that when one closes and reopens their DAW project the sysex is maintained and ready to send again?

This would make the saving file to pc and reopening the file almost completely unnecesary and it is what the original older panel I was using used would do with the single string. I love the idea of my hardware patches being contained inside the DAW project file, the same as would be the case with traditionally recording a dump to a midi track and saving your project for working on at a later time without any need to save extra files alongside the DAW project file.

I imagine the workflow as such: finish your work for the day, so you do a bulk dump, save your project and everything is ready for the next time you load your project up again, all you would need to do is manually do an initial send from the panel, no need to locate files etc.

dnaldoog
                    Participant
                      • ★★

This is a new version that should now be able to save sysex across sessions!

dump me panel version 1.2 beta with load/save state functionality

Attachments:
                      Synthtoast
                      Participant

Havnt had a chance to test but I’m sure it works. Just want to say thanks again as this will be getting much use in the future.

dnaldoog
                        Participant
                          • ★★

I’m back!

Here is another refinement to the previous panel. I realised you really need to be able to switch recording off, otherwise any subsequent Sysex will keep getting added to the dump/snapshot you want to save, so this version has a record/stop button.

Let me know if this one works well and I will probably release it as a panel. I haven’t fully fully tested it and it is getting more complex code-wise, which means problems could start creeping in.

Of course this panel should be used with Windows 5.3.201 and presumably MacOS 5.3.198

Regards,
                          John

GSDR 1.3

Attachments:
                          Tedjuh
                          Participant
                            • Topics: 9
                            • Replies: 97
                            • Total: 106
                            • ★★

Busy with some things in another thread/ post so I can’t tell whether it’s working or not. But I see the opportunities for my own panel. Never got around saving Sysex to the pc but it’s more clear now looking at the LUA code. Is it possible to enhance the panel to load Sysex from a file from the pc as well, to upload it to the synth? I should be able to overcome the limited number of presets then.

Great work!!

dnaldoog
                            Participant
                              • ★★

Hey Tedjuh!

Well this panel can open a .syx file, which can then be uploaded. So yes, it can both save and load to/from file. That’s the LOAD SYSEX TO PANEL button – maybe that could be re-worded?

Regards,

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by dnaldoog.
                              samoht
                              Participant
                                • Topics: 1
                                • Replies: 54
                                • Total: 55

Hi dnaldoog,

Congratulations for this panel!

A good idea and nice code, not only to use but also to study, thanks to your willingness to share your code with us!

I’ve tried out the dump request mode on an old Roland synth.
                                This synth dumps his 64 ‘patches’ in eighty chunks, each with a header (8 bytes), a checksum and EOX (2 bytes) and 128 data bytes in between (so a total of 80×138 = 11040 bytes, but only 128×80 = 10240 data bytes)

Using your panel, dump request and write to pc is working without any flaws on linux (dump = 11040 bytes).

Sending this ‘patches’ back to this Roland needs, at least for this synth, somewhat improvements, since every chunk has its own header with his own address and checksum.
                                So the panel could be further improved by providing a separate field (of course with associated lua code) where the number and length of the chunks could be entered, so they could each be sent separately.

Cheers,
                                Thomas

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by samoht.
                                dnaldoog
                                Participant
                                  • ★★

Thanks Thomas for the nice compliment.

Well the problem there as I see it, is as soon as you start implementing too many customisation options, it is taking away from the simplicity of the original idea. I know that a Roland JD-990 dump is sent back exactly the same and the OP’s (Synthtoast’s) synth too. That’s the beauty of it; I don’t even know what synth he’s running these dump requests on; but … if you wanted to customise it for that Roland (Which model is it? I take it your Roland unit changes its header and therefore checksum when re-uploading?) then this would offer a good template and we all know how complex stuff gets as you start introducing more options to a panel. Stuff starts breaking everywhere. This one is on the border of that, but still simple enough I suppose!

Tedjuh
                                  Participant
                                    • ★★

I must buy a new pair of glasses. Misread the “load Sysex to Panel”. I thought that it was to load from the synth. But that’s what the record button is for. Yay me. Maybe reword it to “Load Sysex from PC”. But that is an easy fix I can do myself.

There is always room for improvement. I can send different requests to the synth but my aging brain has a hard time remembering al those Sysex requests. Soooo, a Sysex request command “Manager” would be awesome :P.

No, just kidding. Seems like a challenge I might take on myself.

samoht
                                    Participant
                                      • Topics: 1
                                      • Replies: 54
                                      • Total: 55

Hi John,

It’s the U-220. Every chunk of the patch dump this unit sends out has the right header and checksum to send it back.
                                      I fully understand your view on simplicity and I will thankfully use your code as a template to integrate into the U-220 panel I started.

Cheers,
                                      Thomas

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by samoht.
                                      dnaldoog
                                      Participant
                                        • ★★

Hi Tedjuh and Samoht,

Great to hear!

I am now working on a super minimalist version using uiComponent. Stay posted!

@samoht
                                        — not familiar with the U-220

@tedjuh
                                        — I renamed it LOAD FILE. That works?

Regards,

Tedjuh
                                        Participant
                                          • ★★

Just a quick mockup. Might as well make a custom component so I can make editable headers of what the Sysex actually does and to be able to load sysex from disk to send as a request. Now it’s done with a listBox. But it’s a start.

Attachments:
                                          BAUS
                                          Participant
                                            • Topics: 2
                                            • Replies: 22
                                            • Total: 24

Nice one Tedjuh!

I am wondering if I can use this to send and receive samples to and from the Ensoniq Mirage.

I already had succes with sending a Sample Request Message and getting a Wavesample back as Sysex.

I keep on following this thread!

Robin.

Updating a 25 year old Editor

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 51 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr